Thursday 18 June 2009

Auckland and Coromandel Peninsula and on to Fiji



















Rangitoto Island, is a volcanic island created 600 years ago and is situated a 25 minute ferry ride from New Zealand's largest city, Auckland.

The 11k tramp around the island included the hike to the top of the volcano. The coastal path section of the tramp was by far the most interesting with some unusual alpine flora normally only found at alpine heights, also the photo's clearly show the piles of volcanic outpourings of 600 years previously. The weather for the previous 2 days had been very wet and cold but the day at Rangitoto was under brilliant blue skies and a warm sun. After having rung the bells at the cathedral on their practice night, where I was made to feel very welcome and spent a happy hour in the local pub with the ringers.


With only 5 days left in NZ I hired a car for 3 days and drove to the Coramandel Peninsula for a last opportunity to hike in the very beautiful countryside and practice my driving skills on narrow, twisting, unpaved roads. I found a 3 hour long tramping track on the Pacific side of the peninsula, again on a beatiful day, and did not see another person other than the camp site warden. Staying for 2 nights in a YHA which was more of a motel than hostel and very quiet given the time of year. The last night was back in Auckland, in a motel where I could pack in peace and also enjoy a swim in their outdoor lap pool.


The journey to Fiji was uneventful other than some turbulence in the middle of the 3 hour flight, though the food was poor, and I was convinced that we were suffering from Air New Zealand cutting their running costs! Arriving at Nadi on the main island was very reminiscent of conditions in Nepal though as I found out over the next week or so Fiji did have a reasonable infrastructure in place, unlike Nepal. For 2 nights I stayed in Nadi at a homestay run by Dee, a lovely Fijian lady, who then booked me to stay with her son and daughter in Suva. I was immediately made welcome, particularly when I made enquiries about the local anglican church which I attended the next day. It was very obvious that the Fijians were avid church goers, to all different denominations of Christian churches. Most of Sunday afternoon was spent in Dee's lounge being regaled with the loudspeakers blaring out across the road at the Church of God!


Travelling to Suva by bus (the main form of transport here) was on unpaved roads at times but arrived their safely to be met by Dee's 21 year old daughter, Emily and taken to her home in the suburbs of Suva, by public transport, bus. I visited the nursing registration department at the Ministry of Health and as half expected paid my 10$ dues but had to wait for the director to return from holiday to sign the authorisation for me to practice nursing in Fiji. All rather frustrating as I'd originally emailled her three and a half weeks previously.....


A journey back towards Nadi to the town of Laukota enabled me to meet the medical director of the Western Divisional Health district who at the time of our meeting (day 6 of my 30 days in Fiji) was in panic mode dealing with the latest cases of H1N1 virus so he quickly passed me on to the district senior. Sister Marisia was delighted to have me work in the district and quickly arranged for me to work with a nurse practitioner, Tiana, on one (or more) of the remote islands for the remaining two and a half weeks. The plan was for me to travel back to Lautoka on the 17th July and work with the senior nurse on some nursing protocols used by my ex-team in London.

I joined Tiana at one of her clinics on the outskirts of Lautoka where we had a most interesting time dealing with the sick patients of all ages, one of whom was quite challenging in their behaviour.

The 4 days in Lautoka were spent in relaxing at the quite luxurious (for me) hotel with a room next to the pool, finishing final arrangement details for nursing. The Fiji v Samoa rugby match for the South Pacific Cup was on only 300 yards from the hotel, so for the princely sum of one pound ten pence(!) I watched from the sidelines. Everyone was very friendly and easily answered my queries re the match , a great occasion and atmosphere.

Tomorrow, the 30th June I travel, by boat to Votuele(?) and stay at the island health facility.
Photo 1. Bellringers at the cathedral, Auckland.
Photo 2, 3, 4. Rangitoto Island.
Photo 5. The view whilst at the summit of the tramp, showing Kennedy Bay on the Coromandel Peninsula.
Photo 6. The beginning of the final tramp on the peninsula.

1 comment:

The colbeck clan said...

Looks like you are having a good time. The kids would love to hear from you.
Kate